Smith’s Bible Dictionary
“Jether” means his excellence
- Jethro, the father-in-law of Moses. (Exodus 4:18) (B.C. 1530.)
- The first-born of Gideon's seventy sons. (Judges 8:20) (B.C. 1256.)
- The father of Amasa, captain-general of Absalom's army. (B.C. 1023.) Jether is another form of ITHRA. (2 Samuel 17:25) He is described in (1 Chronicles 2:17) as an Ishmaelite, which again is more likely to be correct than the "Israelite" of the Hebrew in (2 Samuel 17:1) ...
- The son of Jada, a descendant of Hezron, of the tribe of Judah. (1 Chronicles 2:32)
- The son of Ezra. (1 Chronicles 2:32)
- The chief of a family of warriors of the line of Asher, and father of Jephunneh. (1 Chronicles 7:38) He is probably the same as ITHRAN in the preceding verse.